Amesbury, MA asked in Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: Can my sons mother move out of state without telling me?

Current custody agreement states parenting time at discretion of the mother and I have had my son overnights every other weekend for years. I have just found out she is packing up and moving out of state without notifying me. I called child services because I was worried for him 3 weeks ago and have had no contact with her or my son. Is she legally allowed to leave? I have no record of any sort or anything bad and am a great father. There is nothing in the order about relocating. State of NH

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters
  • Concord, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Are you sure there is nothing in the order about relocating? If you look at the court approved form parenting plan, section "F" addresses relocation:

It is possible your parenting plan doesn't include that section but unlikely.

Even if not, RSA 461-A:12 addresses how relocation is handled:

The procedure is a little complicated but bottom line is that you would have the right to challenge the relocation and if you do the Court should have a hearing to decide whether it should be allowed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.