Lansing, MI asked in Education Law for Michigan

Q: Can I sue/threaten my college for renaming the degree name halfway through my education?

College is stating that it is not possible to graduate under the former title. I would like to graduate under the title that I applied for at the beginning of my enrollment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your's would be a novel case, I'm sure. I'm unaware of any "right" a student has to earn a degree with a specific name. You'd perhaps have more of a leg to stand on if, for instance, you were enrolled in a bachelor's degree program, and the school decided to no longer offer bachelor degrees. That does not appear to be the case here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.