Michigan Education Law Questions & Answers

Q: My public school is having a school sponsored dance but they are only allowing females to attend. Is this legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Education Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Answered on Jan 9, 2019
Brent T. Geers' answer
Unless they are prohibiting the organization and sponsorship of a similar male-only dance, I'm not sure there is a violation here.

Q: Can the school keep important information about a child away from their parents?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jan 29, 2018
Lori E. Arons' answer
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal privacy law that gives parents certain protections with regard to their children's education records, such as report cards, transcripts, disciplinary records, contact and family information, and class schedules. As a parent, you have the right to review your child's education records and to request changes under limited circumstances. To protect your child's privacy, the law generally requires schools to ask for written consent...

Q: Can a local full-time paid fire chief serve as an elected school board official in that same jurisdiction?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Michigan on
Answered on Aug 30, 2017
Brent T. Geers' answer
I don't see why not. I'm unaware of any fire chief being an elected position, and so there is no conflict by holding two different elected positions. More importantly, in most cases, the school district (and its board) is a separate and distinct entity from the local government. It's really no different from any other city employee being elected to the school board. The answer would be different, of course, if a school district employee were to be elected to the school board - a clear conflict.

Q: I have a 12 year old who is cognitive impaired who is being treated unfairly by the principal,staff

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 30, 2017
Kevin Shields' answer
You need to contact a special education attorney in Detroit. I can not recommend one but you can search online for a number of options. Your child has a right to an appropriate education. It does not sound like the school is living up to that promise. Students with disabilities are protected under federal law and have a number of rights. There is a legal process to enforce those rights but causes of action can be time limited. I would suggest that you start with finding a special education...

Q: My daughter hit her head at school and ended up with a concussion and the school failed to notify me.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Answered on Oct 30, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
depends on how it happened. Get a consult from a member of the Michigan Assn for Justice.

Q: Can I sue my teacher or the school?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 1, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Unlikely. If you do have a medical condition your parents need to ask for an IEP (individual educational plan) to allow you education without harassment. If you don't have to be in her class after this year you can see what procedures are in place to require schools to take and record compalints. Contact a member of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Assn who handles Education Law to be sure of all your rights.

Q: Since I'm 17 and live in Michigan can I get in trouble for not attending school but signing up for homeschooling

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Michigan on
Answered on Sep 8, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Have you asked your parents about this? I think they have to agree to homeschool you, and that there are certain requirements that they have to meet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.