Memphis, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant and Collections for Tennessee

Q: i have been paying rent to an apartment, who now has no record of me lving there help?? please!!

My apartment complex got bought out by a new management company and has somehow moved me out of their system. They have now switched over to online rent payment option only and i have no way now of making my payments due to the webiste saying there is no record of me living at the adress. No one in the office is returning my calls ive tried leaving messages and still no answer. I have been lving here almost 2 years, now i have a broken lease account on my credit which is hindering me from trying to purchase a house. I have my lease and all of my money orders (proof of me paying rent) i am currently in schol and also a healthcare worker in this pandemic and i can not afford to not have anywhere to live. Is there anything i can do legally to get this resolved.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes, I would go talk to the management company in person. If the facts are as you describe, they should be able to fix the error in their system. You could also write letters/emails to the management company describing the issue and asking them to rectify. If you are still unable to resolve this, you may want to consult with an attorney. If they are falsely reporting something that negatively impacts your credit, you may have a cause of action against the apartment complex that you could sue. It sounds like they could fix the issue though and that is the much better option for you than waiting months or years for litigation to be resolved. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.