Dayton, OH asked in Social Security for Nebraska

Q: Does Social Security Disability pay for an assisted living facility or a nursing home?

Eighty year old mother has been newly diagnosed with muscular distrophy. She is currently collecting social security in retirement (worked until age 75). Is she eligible for Social Security Disability and, if so, does Social Security Disability pay for an assisted living facility or a nursing home (similarly to how it pays full cost for disabled children needing a long term care facility)?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Social Security Disability (SSD) gets replaced by normal social security at retirement around age 65. So your mother will not qualify for SSD.

Your mother likely qualifies for Medicare. If so, they will pay some or all of the costs of assisted living.

Talk to your state benefits office, or call SSA to get details. 1 (800) 772-1213

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: No, your mother would not get Social Security disability (SSDI). SSDI is replaced by Social Security retirement due to age and she is already receiving those benefits. Social Security benefits do not pay for assisted living or a nursing home. You will need to explore what Medicare and Medicaid can provide. See For information about what Medicare covers see For example, Medicare covers skilled nursing care under certain circumstances but does not provide for custodial care. Medicaid pays for certain medical services for low income individuals. See Contact Health and Human Services in your State.

You should also consult an attorney about whether is would be a good idea to set up a Special Needs Trust for your mother. A Special Needs Trust would provide your mother with access to funding without potentially losing the benefits provided by public assistance programs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.