Kissimmee, FL asked in Bankruptcy for Florida

Q: My chap 7 has been discharged can the trustee i sell my jointly owned house to pay debts although its not a 13.

I had creditors meeting but i did not file form 423.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Cain
Paul Cain
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Jacksonville Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Hello,

I'm sorry about the trouble you're experiencing in your chapter 7 bankruptcy. Generally, bankruptcy trustees have broad powers to liquidate estate property unless an exemption applies. Depending on your circumstances, this might apply to your jointly owned home.

I recommend that you find out the status of your case. Also, you should consult with your attorney. If you didn't have an attorney represent you, I recommend finding one as quickly as possible. Finally, please note that in order to obtain a discharge, you will have to file the second credit counseling (form 423).

Best of luck to you, I hope you obtain a fair resolution to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.