Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Arizona

Q: A couple of months ago my niece told my daughters she was being abused by her Dad.

A week ago she attempted suicide and no one told the people caring for her about this. Im not sure what I can do I feel like if I call CPS or even the police my family may lie. This maybe her only chance to get help and I feel like they will try to discredit me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If something happens to her and you did not report it, you will have to live with that. If you believe your daughters are being truthful and if you believe they will share what your niece told them with investigators, then I feel you have a duty to report the situation and let the chips fall where they may.

Arizona Child Abuse Hotline 1-888-SOS-CHILD (1-888-767-2445)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.