Vernon Rockville, CT asked in Estate Planning for Connecticut

Q: Can my sibling make false accusations against me as administrator of my dads estate regarding belongings (assets)?

I was just appointed administrator to my dads estate. I've had to prematurely remove all assets left at my dad's property do to my brother taking the majority of high priced belongings. None of the assets are in my dads name. But I have been verbally threatened by my half brother which lives out of state with the threat of he will call probate and lie saying I have assets that I in fact truly do not. PLEASE HELP ME. What prevents him from continuing to keep taking assets and afterwards denying the true value of those assets to gain more????

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: As the administrator, your first job is to secure the assets in the estate. This means all assets, including tangible personal property (the stuff in his house, art work, furniture, jewelry, etc) which are owned solely by your father. You should also demand that your brother return any asset he has removed. Those need to be valued and included in the estate.

If you know what he removed, you should make a list of those items. You can go to the probate court and ask for advice about how to account for those items on the inventory.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.