Bethel, AK asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Alaska

Q: can I sue a hospital for my daughter getting tourettes due to medication?

my daughter (15) got put on anti psychotics for sever anxiety and the doctors didn't tell us about a side effect that causes a tic disorder. the disorder commonly related to the medication she was put on only appears in elders who's gone through menopause and such things. we are thinking she already had the gene for tourettes syndrome and it made the condition surface. we would like to sue the hospital because it it causing her depression and anxiety to worsen along with physical harm to to herself and others around and over all it has been very unpleasant

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Alaska attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your daughter's ordeal. This has the makings of a complex and difficult case, likely offering different avenues from which to assert OR defend the correlations you offer.

As a starting point, you should consider reaching out to med mal law firms in Alaska. Most firms in this field offer free initial consults. It appears that you have done considerable research on the subject yourselves, and that the attorney with whom you consult might benefit from the ground you already covered. If an attorney felt there could be a basis for a strong case, they could request the patient file and review with a medical/pharmacological professional. I wish your daughter the best. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.