Georgetown, KY asked in Adoption, Family Law and Civil Rights for Kentucky

Q: How easy is stepparent adoption if the bio-dad didn't sign the birth certificate?

How easy is stepparent adoption if the bio-dad didn't sign the birth certificate?

My ex didn't sign my son's birth certificate. And he hasn't been in his life for over 5 years. He never signed anything that announced him as his father. My husband is the only dad he knows and wants to adopt him. I need to know. First if I can change his name without his bio-dads consent? Since he has never tried to acknowledge him as his son. Second, how to I go about having my husband adopt him? He really wants to and we already have another kid together. That's the main reason I want the name change at least.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can file a petition for adoption or a petition for name change. Natural father must be served. If served and objects, court decides. If served and doesn’t object or defaults, you most surely win.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.