Chicago, IL asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Military Law for Wisconsin

Q: I am interested in joining the army reserves. Marijuana is may be in my system. I want to go to Military Entrance though

I want to go to Military Entrance with honesty of what's in my system but I don't believe it should fairly disqualify me, as per with a doctor I can prove the upkeep of a drug free workplace by testing more frequently proving it is getting out of my system. I have taken all of the knowledge tests and have passed already I just need to not set myself up for failure and possible disqualification. They offer benefits to the citizens of this country and I have not broken any laws. I fully understand a drug free workplace however, this is the Military. I need law on my side so that I can go finish signing up regardless of the current level of marijuana in my system as per it can be proven that it is coming out of my system. I do not intend to wait until it is out of my system in a trial and error situation. I just want to make an agreement with Military Entrance that if marijuana remains in my system during the time of acception, that would be the only fair way to disqualify me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN

A: No, this is not possible. The military has policies regarding what drugs are tested for as part of the military entrance process. Currently this includes testing for marijuana. if you stop using marijuana early enough before the drug test, you may pass. You should realize that if you are not willing to stop using marijuana now you should not join the military. To my knowledge all components of the US Military regularly conduct random drug testing that includes marijuana. If you think the DoD should change their marijuana policies you could attempt to lobby Congress to pass a law reflecting that. It seems unlikely that is going to happen anytime soon in the current political climate. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.