Chicago, IL asked in Construction Law, Contracts and Consumer Law for Tennessee

Q: Where can I get help with a construction business that has sent me a bill of charges more than I was told to do the job?

I am a 62 year old senior living in the state of TN between Knoxville and Athens, TN. I've been sent a bill charging more than double the time the serviceman/men spent actually doing the job. Also, they're charging me more than double what I could have spent on parts and more than 4 times what I know they spent on the few parts (this is asserted by my having done online business research). There was no contract signed beforehand and I was not given an invoice at the end of the job or any validation to sign to prove the amount of time spent at my home performing the task or the parts used. The serviceman was agitated when he arrived and became more rude and aggressive so as I spoke to him with questions and such.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I would suggest you communicate in writing as well as orally your dispute to the contractor asking for an explanation of all charges. There may be an explanation - and the Contractor hasn't provided you with enough information. On the other hand there could be a mistake and you have been overcharged.

If you can not resolve it in this fashion, you can see if the Contractor is a member of the BBB and you can initiate a complaint there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.