Schenectady, NY asked in Education Law for Maryland

Q: If a college refuses to show evidence on brining up cyber bullying case against my son, what can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I am sure the college has some procedures and rules in place for handling disciplinary matters, if this is being handled as a school disciplinary or expulsion matter. If campus police are involved, then it is a criminal matter that will be handled through the local prosecutor's office in court, with formal charges filed with the state. You need to clarify which type of proceeding this is, but in either case, they are unlikely to reveal their investigatory files until they are prepared to proceed with charges of other action. Usually at that point, rules are in place for obtaining the evidence supporting the case against the accused. Your child is entitled to a lawyer. It may be wise to retain one now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.