Pittsburgh, PA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania

Q: My name is Krista, I’m a victim in a criminal case and I pressed charges on my boyfriend but I want to drop them

He’s a convicted felon and was Charged with it kidnapping burglary theft reckless endangerment aggravated assault simple assault and possession of a firearm

1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan L Hyde
Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Once charges are filed by the Commonwealth you no longer have the ability to drop them. You become an important witness in the case but the case is the District Attorney's. Those charges sound very serious and very few DAs would simply walk away from that case. Remember their job is to protect everyone, not just you. Be open with your advocate/ADA. They are required to let you have a say but not required to follow your wishes. However, in same caaes they will let you help guide the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.