Frankenmuth, MI asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan

Q: Received dog from a breeder free. No papers signed nothing. 2 1/2 years later she wants dog back?

Dog is microchipped in my name. All vet fees payed by me. She has AKC papers. I didn’t care about those.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marlo Bruch
Marlo Bruch
  • Kalamazoo, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can file a small claims court case that does not involve attorneys and use any evidence you have to prove the breeder gave you the dog for free and has no legal entitlement to it. Dogs are considered personal property so you would have to file a claim to be able to keep your pet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.