Michigan Animal / Dog Law Questions & Answers

Q: I just bought a puppy for myself, but my mom doesn't want her living with us. Can she legally get rid of the puppy?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jan 9, 2019
Brent T. Geers' answer
A part of the answer is going to depend on your age. But more generally, Mom's house, Mom's rules.

Q: As a landlord who owns three homes in MI that are rentals, do I have to allow service animals or therapy pets?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan on
Answered on Dec 26, 2018
Brent T. Geers' answer
I qualify my "yes" answer with you need to check into your compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and any applicable state or local ordinances addressing same. Very generally, you could not deny housing to an otherwise qualified tenant just because they make use of a service animal.

Q: Can a management company change the amount due on your rental by raising the pet fee mid lease?

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Oct 2, 2018
David Soble's answer
I agree that changing rules regarding pets are not the same as changing fees. This opinion however is limited in scope as a competent real estate attorney would need to see a copy of a lease.

Q: I've owned my ex girlfriends dog for 5 months. She wants him back now that I have a new girlfriend. What can I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Divorce and Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Sep 18, 2018
Trent Harris' answer
I guess it depends on why you were allowed to keep the dog after you broke up with ex-girlfriend. Did she tell you you could have the dog? Or was the dog with you temporarily, with an understanding that she could have it back? You said you’ve “owned” the dog for 5 months, which implies ex-girlfriend no longer owns it. If she gave it to you to keep as yours, you can do with it what you wish.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your...

Q: If my dog is of leash and she approaches a person but does not touch or hurt them or their dog. Can they call the police

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Answered on Aug 18, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
Anyone can call the police. I think you left out facts like possibly the dog was snarling and acting in a way that seemed like it would attack.

Does "is of leash" mean "is off leash"?

If so many laws exist that dogs are required to be on a leash

Q: How do I get MY cat back from my ex boyfriend?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Sep 6, 2017
Brent T. Geers' answer
Domestic animals are considered personal property in Michigan. You can file what's called a Claim and Delivery action in your local district court for the return of your cat.

Q: bought a puppy who came down with parvo and now have 3k plus in vet bills. What is statute of limitations and can sue?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Apr 17, 2017
Thomas. R. Morris' answer
The limitations period under Michigan law for breach of contract is six years. Therefore, if you have a claim for a breach of contract (more particularly a warranty that the pupply was disease free) then unless the cintract provides otherwise you have six years from the accrual of the claim to sue.

Q: When fostering a dog, if you have had it longer than the owner can you claim posetion of the dog?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Car Accidents for Michigan on
Answered on Nov 11, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
No. Work something out with the owner. Sounds like they are relying on the bond you have formed to get a free ride.

Q: can I get legal help if someone's dog damaged $100+ of my personal property?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 26, 2016
Mr Scott Marshall Neuman's answer
File a small claims action in your local district court. No lawyers are permitted in small claims court. The problem is that even if you win he may not be collectible.

Q: My little dog sneaks out the front door while I'm walking inside, and runs after a kid, am I liable if nothing happens

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 1, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Dog cant sneak out if he's on the leash.If the kid isn't on your property you are asking for trouble.Technically, depending on the law in your township, you may be violating leash laws.

Q: what would happen if my dog scratches/bites a kid?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Answered on May 28, 2016
David Alan Wolf's answer
The liability for a dog bite or dog attack will depend on the laws in place where the incident took place. Some states have strict liability for dog bite incident. In other words, a dog owner is liable even if the dog never attacked a person in the past. Some states have a "one bite rule" which requires some knowledge on the part of the dog owner as to the dangerous propensities of the dog. If you own a home or even rent a home, consider getting dog bite insurance coverage if this is...

Q: I adopted a dog from a Rescue who knowingly failed to disclose his massive dental damage and neglected to get him help!

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Oct 31, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
You should have looked at the dog's teeth when you adopted him.

Q: do i need a lawyer for my dog?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 25, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Anyone can sue for anything...that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good case, though. I'm not familiar with Michigan law on this, but in many states, it is a defense if the dog is provoked. Talk to a local lawyer to be sure. Also, if a claim is made, you can turn it over to your renter's liability insurance. If you don't have it, you should get it (for the future).

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general...

Q: my dog was adopted without my consent by my roomate and a shelter would i be able to get my baby back?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 20, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
More information is needed. If someone stole your dog, you should try to get it back.

Q: if my neighbor does something to my dog what can i do?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 18, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Ask a lawyer to write a strong letter on your behalf. He doesn't have the right to spray water into your property. If he shoots your dog, call the police.

Q: So some young children from the apartment complex behind my house broke into my house thru a window. They trashed up

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 18, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Turn the claim over to your homeowner's insurance to handle.

Q: If someone pays for my dogs vet bill does that mean the dog is now theres?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jul 31, 2014
Kelly Lambert's answer
No, it does not.

Kelly G Lambert III

Q: What michigan statute protects a dog owner if their dog bit someone

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Answered on Jan 5, 2011
Hillard Fried's answer
In the typical personal injury claim, the injured party must prove that the party who caused the mishap was negligent. If the injury victim fails to prove negligence, he loses.

In contrast, the victim of a dog-bite is not required to prove negligence. That is known as “strict liability”. Thus, the victim needs only to establish that a dog attacked him, that the victim was injured, that his injuries and losses are compensable and that the defendant in the law suit owned the dog at the...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.