This site is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Please check back in a few minutes.
Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Does the 3 strikes law still apply today

My boyfriend got a ride to sacramento from a friends girlfriend that he had never met before to go to his physical therapy appt. On the way back they got pulled over and the dog found 10 oz of meth and some heroin in a spot in the girls engine compartment. My boy friend was nothing but cooperative and let them search him he answered all their questions. He had just been paroled on oct 26th 2020 after serving 16 years in prison. He got permission from his parole officer and was in constant contact with him and had even given him the licence plate number make and model of the car even the vin number. HE DID NOT KNOW THE DRUGS WERE IN THE CAR. The girl even told the officers that he didn't know. Fast forward to his court date and they sentence him to eight years because of his strikes and his past. How can that be okay if he didn't know. He took the deal for the o instead of going to trial with it because if he lost they told him he would be facing 22 years. We really need some help pleas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stanley Dale Radtke
Stanley Dale Radtke
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I would assume that your boyfriend was represented in the criminal court by an attorney. He would have consulted with his attorney before accepting any plea, or negotiated disposition. I would suggest that your boyfriend discuss this with his lawyer and if there is a good faith reason to withdraw his plea, then he needs to do so as soon as possible as there is a short amount of time in which to do so.

Penal Code 1018 PC reads, in pertinent part,

“On application of the defendant at any time before judgment or within six months after an order granting probation is made if entry of judgment is suspended, the court may, and in case of a defendant who appeared without counsel at the time of the plea the court shall, for a good cause shown, permit the plea of guilty to be withdrawn and a plea of not guilty substituted

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.