Decatur, GA asked in Contracts, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Is adlutry still illegal in Georgia?

My husband cheated on me for 6 years out of the 8 years of our marriage. After he advised me of what he did, he filed for a no contest divorce, not telling his lawyer about his unfaithful actions. Alimony and child support are not included. What do I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Samantha A Holloway
Samantha A Holloway
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: File an Answer and a Counterclaim for Divorce once you are served with the papers. In the Counterclaim, you can mention the adultery and ask the court to award you child support and alimony.

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Adultery is still a crime, but it won't have much impact on your case. The behavior is irrelevant to the issue of child support. If the children live with you, he should be paying child support.

--Regina Edwards | | 770.854.0777

Fair, Flat Fees Only - No Hourly Billing

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.