Washington, DC asked in Family Law for District of Columbia

Q: can past charges of fictitious name to officer forgery and false documents be used to discredit in a protection order

false protection order on me. final hearing in 2 days i cant get attorney. she has no police reports or evidence. her aunt may witness on her behalf and lie. can i use her past criminal history to discredit her testimony? forging priv. documents, fictitious name to avoid pro....fraudulent documents.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: You can do so if they are convictions, and you obtain certified copies of the convictions from the court, or perhaps if the convictions occurred in the same court you are appearing in on the protective order, you can reference those cases by case number and the court can check the dockets if they have access to them in the courtroom. Most judges have computers at hand these days. Otherwise, the burden of proof is on you to present evidence of the convictions. Just standing there saying the witness has these convictions will not meet the burden of producing evidence to support your claims in this regard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.