Mercer, PA asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can you change a mail in plea from not guilty to guilty without going to the court hearing?

I got a ticket for parking on someone's property and when I received the ticket I meant to plead guilty and pay the fine but accidently selected not guilty and sent the check in. I wasn't aware of the mistake until I received the letter in the mail with the court date and time. Is there a way for me to change the plea and not have to go to court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Kraeer
Timothy Kraeer
  • Pottsville, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You may be able to contact the court and ask them to change the plea. Some courts will allow you to send an email or a fax to their office asking that your plea be changed to guilty - they're going to want something from you in writing indicating that you wish to plead guilty.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.