Roseburg, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My niece and her baby were removed by the sherriff from her house yesterday because of a eviction judgement by default.

She got a 72 hour notice Dec 10,2020. She spoke to her landlord and he agreed to give her until Feb.1, 2020. She got that in writing. Yesterday Dec 21,2020 the sherriff office evicted her. The paperwork said she had to contact the landlord to get her possessions. However the deputies would not allow her to contact her landlord who lives on the same property behind her. They say his son has power if attorney and is in charge . The judgement from the courts doesnt state anything about the landlords son being in charge. He has an 8 month old baby and was allowed to quickly grab clothes and diapers for him. We desperately need advice on how to help her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Most, if not all, 72 hr notices are banned during Covid and the very issuance likely is unlawful. Further, it is unlikely that any court should have granted the relief sought, though your niece was obligated to show up in court. Doing so likely would have avoided the whole issue. Your niece simply needs to talk with a local landlord-tenant attorney. Perhaps the Judgment against her can be dismissed, allowing her to return to the property. Perhaps a deal can be struck with the ex-landlord (or his son) once they understand that your niece likely has grounds to sue the landlord for damages; perhaps she just needs to proceed with suing the landlord now for her damages, plus statutory damages, plus court costs, plus her attorney's fees. These are just the most obvious possibilities, there likely are more. But they need to each be carefully evaluated against the exact facts of her case before anyone can know whether they are possible solutions or even if they are desirable as well. Talk to a local attorney - this is NOT a do-it-yourself project if she expects to prevail. Good luck.

13 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.