Bushnell, FL asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I get full custody of my two children Boy(9) Girl(11)after abuse has happened to my daughter while at her fathers?

Daughter has suffered physical and verbal abuse from the step mom. Son watched and has heard. He also has suffered from physical abuse as well just not to the same extent. Daughter has been sexually abused by the step sister for multiple years. Daughter has now tried to commit suicide while at school and is currently under the care of a psychiatrist due to all the stress and fear. She threatens self harm if she is forced to return to the father. I'm looking for full custody with the possibility of supervised visitation for the father. And no visitation by the abusers. Is this a reasonable request? Is it possible to get custody of both children? The physical abuse injunction was in 10/2019 and admitted to. The sexual abuse is currently under an injunction and is being investigated by CPS.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If there is no family or dependency case in court with these circumstances, you must run, not walk to the courthouse to get assistance for your children. If the things you state here can be proven with evidence and testimony, yes, you have a good chance of obtaining supervised time-sharing for the father for his neglect and/or abuse of the children.

You need an experienced family/dependency attorney to assist you.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.