Murfreesboro, TN asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Tennessee

Q: Naming my company that has similar spelling than one that has been trademarked or copyrighted.

If i make a company that has a similar but different spelling in the name than one that is currently copyrighted or trademarked, could i possibly be sued? I have no affiliation with said company nor do i sell or copy anything of said company, just two similar names. There is a trademark for the company in question, i went into business two months later selling totally different products. I am in no way trying to be or connected to said company nor am i using any artwork or anything alike from this company.

1 Lawyer Answer
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta

A: Yes you can be sued.

It will depend on the similarity or difference of the products and whether somebody can be confused as the origin of the products or services.

Consult with an attorney

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.