Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Paul E. Tennison

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Tennessee on

Q: is a new development liable for damage they cause to my property? flooding from raised elevation?

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 24, 2019

Depending on more facts, yes they could be. I recommend you consult with an experienced construction law attorney to determine what your legal options are in this situation. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Tennessee on

Q: Are there any rules regarding what documents a private employer is required to give a former employee?

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 24, 2019

Yes, in Tennessee, an employer should give an employee a separation notice when the employee no longer works for the employer. Find the TN DOL website and you can read more about those issues. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee on

Q: Can you tell me if at residential property we are living needs to supply the residents with adequate parking?

When we moved to this new residence in June we were told parking was first come, first serve. After we registered our vehicles with them, as there are 2 of us to this household with 2 cars, they are now telling us both of us cannot park here and have to park 1 car in another lot which is not owned... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 24, 2019

No, to my knowledge there is no law that would require residential properties to provide any certain amount of parking spaces. For example, many large cities in the US do not have any parking included in the residential leases. Yet, even without a legal requirement for them to provide the parking,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: As of 6/29/19 I will be a resident of TN for 6 months and need to have my custody case transferred.

Additionally, I need to see what can be done to hold my ex in contempt for not returning my son by the date/time he was supposed too, not allowing a family member to pick up my son and bring him to me on the date he was due back, not allowing him to speak to me while he was gone for 43 day (maybe... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 17, 2019

From that description, you have a significant number of potential legal issues. I recommend you consult with a local family law attorney. You would need to transfer the case to Tennessee before you could file for contempt. Your easier route for the contempt action could be filing for contempt in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Mississippi on

Q: Can a convicted felon, who is married to a retired veteran, live in off-base military housing open to the public?

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 17, 2019

Yes, unless there is a specific law that would prohibit such conduct. I am unaware of a law that limits who may live in off-base military housing. This may be an issue where the rules and regulations set by the post commander may apply.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for Texas on

Q: Should I report someone directly to immigration for the citizenship fraud or hire an attorney to that for me?

If you lied or concealed relevant facts in order to obtain U.S. citizenship, your citizenship could be revoked. This is called illegally procuring citizenship.

I know of an individual who has obtained the US citizenship just the way described above. I would like this person to get... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 12, 2019

You may consult with an attorney to discuss. Citizens have the right to report suspected criminal behavior to law enforcement and allow law enforcement to investigate. I am unaware of any law that would require you to report that individual at this time, so such a decision of whether and how to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia on

Q: What is the penalty for someone (green card holder) deliberately creating a false asylum application for their relative?

This is a confidential question.

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 12, 2019

This is a public forum, it is not confidential. I recommend you consult with an attorney about this in person. Obviously it is not good. You are stating that someone has engaged in fraud against the government. If discovered that person could be prosecuted and it may affect the immigration status... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee on

Q: Our property restricts mobile homes & trailers, can we put up a modular home?

We currently have 5 acres with a home on it and would be willing to give up an acre. If we do that do the restrictions still apply to the land we gave away?

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 12, 2019

Most likely yes, the restrictions would still apply. However to be able to more definitively answer this question, an attorney would need to read the legal documents that this restriction is found in. Therefore, I recommend you consult with an experienced real estate attorney and bring all... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Tennessee on

Q: I have Medicaid and Aetna. I delivered my baby over a year and half ago and they will not process the claim.

I have sent the COB on multiple occasions. I have even called and informed them they are my primary insurance. My other insurance is federally funded and even they admit they should pick up what Aetna does not cover. What should I do?

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 11, 2019

You may want to consult with an attorney. This could be a case that could be solved by sending a demand letter to Aetna explaining the facts and your position that they should cover you. If that does not work you may have to litigate the issue. I recommend you bring all the relevant documents and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law for Tennessee on

Q: On a horse trade with no contract whatsoever. What is the liability if one of the becomes sick?

I traded a horse to a gal with no contract or agreement. In fact she insisted on taking horse sooner than I wanted. 6 days later I'm notified by her horse is near death. Horse was fine when she left my care, I have pictures of the day before and pics from her on horses condition. Shes now trying to... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 10, 2019

With no contract, you should likely not have liability as long as you were unaware of any issues about the horses health at the time you agreed to the trade. If you did not guarantee or warranty the health of the horse, then I do not think the other party has much of a case here. If you are sued... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for California on

Q: I was separated from the US navy while in boot camp for a kidney stone. I want to reenlist but now I am 40 years old.

My private Dr cleared me to go back. I might also need an age waiver.

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 10, 2019

Speak with a recruiter. Their job is to get people to enlist. They can educate you on the current waivers available. Keep in mind each of the services have different recruitment policies so you may want to check with each of the branches of the US Military. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: If I was married January 26th 2019 and I was married by universal Life Church ministries is my marriage legal

Because the law didn't come in effect until July 2019 first

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 10, 2019

What law didn't come into effect?

If you received a marriage license issued by the State of Tennessee then the marriage should be binding and legal. If you have questions about the validity of your marriage license, then contact the county clerk's office and ask them about it.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Tennessee on

Q: Can back child support take 50% of my Social Security Disability each month?

My ex- wife lives in another state. I live in TN, and support was ordered through TN. All my children have been 18 for more than 8 years. My wife does not need the money. I had a series of 4 strokes, after having failing health for many years. I am now totally disabled. I need that income to use... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 9, 2019

Can they? Yes, they are currently doing it now. Should they? That seems questionable based on the fact that the children are well above the age where support should be required. Although you stated it is back child support so that may be different.

I would encourage you to call the child...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee on

Q: i had to bury my mom in 2015 and then my dad in 2018.. my brother and his wife were on the run from the law he was let

out of jail on medical furlough and was on the run for 18 months.. he is now back in custody.. t

over 2 yrs has passed since the will was filled in probate can he challenge the will still?? he is saying we did all kinds of bad stuff but we had days to get him buried he left all to me exept... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 9, 2019

If your brother is currently in jail, it doesn't seem like he has any ability to secure money from you. If your brother threatens you or stalks you when he gets out of jail, you may want to consider filing an Order of Protection against him.

If the case was in probate 2 years ago, it is...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on

Q: If maintenance causes damage to our personal property, are they liable to replace it?

We originally had an issue upon move in of a frozen ac unit, maintenance came and “rigged” it to run anyway to get through Memorial Day weekend. They didn’t come back until we called again to ask when they were coming.

They came today and shut off one of the units. After about an... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 9, 2019

Based on the facts as you described them, they should replace your property that was damaged. The way you are going about it by emailing them pictures of what is damaged and requesting reimbursement is good. That could work. If they are unwilling to reimburse you after that, your next step could be... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee on

Q: Can I ask to have a traffic ticket changed after I had paid it in Tennessee from 2 years ago?

I received a ticket back in 2017; I rear-ended another car while we were both at a red light. I received a ticket, I paid the ticket thinking it was a minor traffic violation. The officer wrote it as reckless driving. I was only made aware of what the ticket was classified as when I went shopping... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 5, 2019

Probably not. Most likely paying the ticket is the equivalent to entering a guilty plea in a criminal matter. If the ticket was 2 years ago, the time to appeal has likely long past.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Tennessee on

Q: Do judges ever grant full custody back to a parent who currently has supervised visitation only?

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 3, 2019

I am unaware of a case in which that has happened. I imagine there may have been some cases in which that has happened though. Tennessee child custody law is concerned with the best interest of the child. If the parent who currently only has supervised visitation can show changed circumstances that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on

Q: I'm not sure who to go to. The Chief of Police made me out to be a liar on Facebook. I wasn't lying and he knows it.

I was falsely arrested and taken to the Soddy Daisy Police Department. I wasn't charged with any crime, although they did try to charge me with obstruction of justice for pleading the 5th Amendment.

I posted a comment about being Falsely Arrested on the Soddy Daisy Police Department... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 3, 2019

I recommend you find an experienced attorney in the area of Constitutional rights and defamation law and consult with that attorney about what potential claims you may have here.

There are many ways to find an attorney, you could ask family or friends for recommendations, search on Justia,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Tennessee on

Q: I have a friend who is dating a guy that is married to an illegal immigrant.. the relationship failed he wants a divorce

She fights him and more so he wants to know how to get out of the petition without going to jail

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 3, 2019

This sounds like it may be a difficult situation. I recommend your friend consult with an attorney at a firm that does both family law and immigration law. The same lawyer or team of attorneys may be able to help him with both the divorce and his immigration status. If he is being abused by a US... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Military Law for Texas on

Q: How do I apply for and file for a divorce from my abusive husband. I'm in CA and afraid to go home in Lone Star, TX

He is at my home in Lone Star with the kids....His 3 biological. He is a VET and a very abusive alcoholic. He says if I come with my grown kids to move out, he's going to have his motorcycle brothers come when we come. I'm afraid for me and my children and his! I don't want any problems. It's my... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 3, 2019

I recommend you call attorneys in/near the Lone Star, TX area and discuss your potential case with them. It is possible that you could file the divorce while you are still in California. You could likely pursue most of the divorce without ever traveling to Texas. You may also consider seeking an... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.