Q: Can I sue a local school district for poisoning my food as a child? I might have proof of substance abuse.

Well, as a child growing up, I really didn't have too much serious health issues in which alerted me even more. My dreams were to be an athlete and play in the percussion section in my school Band. My basketball ball dreams were crushed not only because how expensive the gear and fee's are, but also because I used to suffer from periodic stomach cramps, sometimes couldnt hold my bowls, that used to just take my mind away. Like I stated, as a child, I wouldn't understand it. I thought it was stomach pain until I got in the 12th grade and was experiencing this same weird torment to the point I thought I had an intestinal issue. I still and would have random muscle spasms and other unexplainable things we'd have to speak in person about. I went to the doctor many of times. Since I didn't know it could've been drug abuse, they never knew what to look for. By the grace of God, I started researching about laxative abuse and seen many of my symptoms and it disgusted me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general observation, based on your description, it looks like it would be a difficult case. You're talking about gastrointestinal and muscle spasm symptoms, some of which were of a fleeting nature. When you attempt to base the damages of a case on injury/illness, you generally need to demonstrate to a jury some form of disability or something of a more severe impact. Aside from that, it could be difficult to tie these things to the schools conduct. Then there is the element of what is probably the passage of a considerable amount of time. This is only my analysis - you could reach out to local attorneys to discuss the matter ask them how they see it. Different attorneys could sometimes see the same situation differently with additional details. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.