Edwardsville, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: I haven't been to court since Jan 13, 2020, due to the courthouse is closed this case is 2 years old what are my rights

I haven't been to court since January 2020 this case is almost two years old. They keep postponing due to this or that. No court reporter, judge cancels court, the janitor was sick. Can they really just make stuff up to postpone my court date. I have was not there and the times I did go it was locked it's been closed since 03/20/2020 as far as I'm aware of. I want to what legal ground I can stand on. I don't want to get jerked around by the courts. In this time I've done put myself through college and I don't want to mess it up. With a public defender, I know won't get represented they I would with a paid lawyer but I've been laid off Since Marce 20,2020

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You either need to hire an attorney to assist you with this matter or reach out to your Public Defender. The sooner you do this the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.