Columbia, SC asked in Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: How to remove deceased parent and sibling from house deed?

My father lives in my grandfather’s house, however his name is not on the deed. The deed has my grandfather and my uncle’s name on the deed, both who are deceased. My uncle has two sons, one who is deceased. My dad has been paying taxes on the property for over 20 years. How to I get the deed changed so that it shows my dad has ownership of the property?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Based on your limited facts I am not sure your Father owns the house in fee simple absolute. But I recommend you hire a competent attorney to search the title, determine heirship, and record an

Affidavit of Heirship. Upon its recording, notify the taxing authority. If there are other heirs, they might convey their undivided interests over to your Father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.