Dundee, FL asked in Child Support for Illinois

Q: I pay child support but I have 3 other children with my current wife, can I lower my child support to my exwife?

My my ex wife and child live in Illinois, that’s were the divorce took place. I remarried, so has she, but I have 3 children with my current wife ages 5, 3 and a 7 month old, we live in Florida. I want to lower my child support. Is having 3 kids (this adds a lot More expenses) a substantial change in circumstances? I’m supposed to pay 535. But she receives 148 from my SSDI. And I pay 387 out of pocket to complete the 535. We adjusted the agreement when my first child was born with my current wife. I’ve been adjusting it as the other kids were born to complete the 535, and she had no issues. But I have 3 kids now and i was wondering if I can lower it. She will still receive the 148 from SSDI and whatever the court lowers it. I would be ok with paying 182. That’ll be 330. Whenever my child need anything additional I will provide if I can do so.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker

A: Yes you can seek a modification. One child can often be enough to change amount and meet the substantial and continuing change requirement, and will most likely cross that threshold, unless you are a high wage earner. There are other factors to consider and requesting modification doesnt always mean order will be lowered. But in the circumstances you described, that may very well be the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.