Dallas, TX asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: Default decree10/15/2020, he is in a halfway house, is he able to reopen the divorce?

Can he reopen a default decree that was given on 10/15/2020? He has been in prison 15 out of 19 years of marriage, never held a job, nor did he stay at home and take care of our 3 kids. He says he wants 1/2 of everything and 19 years of alimony.. I have sole custody of the kids. And a court order for him to pay child support. Will he be able to set aside the decree since it is passed 30 days or will he have to prove a valid reason to do this. My lawyer already withdrew from the case. What should I do at this point, also does his lawyer have to be licensed in Oklahoma since this is where the divorce was filed and granted? Or can he do all of this from another state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If he is represented, the attorney must be licensed in Oklahoma in some form, even if it is a temporary licensure (pro has vice). If he was not properly served, or not given a reasonable opportunity to challenge the divorce, Especially as it comes to child custody and child support, then some judges will vacate the default decree and set it for hearing and then poetically trial if no settlement can be met. What he is asking for seems ludicrous on its face, but I don't know all of the facts. Get a lawyer who is not afraid to put on a hearing or trial and hopefully they can nullify his claims quickly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.