Heber City, UT asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: Hello, I need assistance getting out of my lease because of an unsafe condition (drugs).

The unit below me was raided a couple weeks ago and they seized over $1 million in meth. I told the office I was moving because of an unsafe living environment. They told my I had 2 options, both required me to continue to pay. My understanding is that if the landlord doesn't provide an quiet and safe living environment, the lease in null and void. There have also been several car thefts over the last few months, and there is constant noise from other tenants and their pets. What are my options, if any? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If you can't afford an attorney, contact utahlegalservices.org. They are good with landlord tenant situations and I think you have a good argument that your apartment is unsafe. When a home is found to have large amounts of meth, they will often destroy the home and dig out the basement and then leave the land sitting bare for a few years to get rid of it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.