Mobile, AL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: In the state of Alabama, if you touch someone's property such as keys, is it justifiable for that person to hit you?

You are asking your child's other parent a question about where they are taking your child and they are ignoring you so to prevent them from taking the child you grab their keys. After doing so they push you into a window, twist your arm and punch you. Are they legally justified?

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: Of course not!!! But you already know that. You are being abused. See a lawyer. As an alternative, consider going to the County courthouse and swearing out a warrant against him for Protection from Abuse. (PFA) The Circuit or District Court Clerks will probably help you fill out the form. This is free. The sheriff will then go and find him and give him a piece of paper telling him to stay away from you, and will set an early date for him to appear in court. You have to be there too. The judge will then decide what happens next.

This can be dangerous, as in rare cases the man will ignore the piece of paper and will seek to harm you. You know him, so you should be able to assess whether this will be a concern for you.

Good luck, A lawyer would possibly be better than starting a PFA action. You must be the judge of that,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.