Allegan, MI asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: My ex is pregnant again with her spouse but is requesting a review increase on the child support I pay. What can I do?

My ex and I share joint custody of our kids. I pay child support because she is on disability and her income is lower. She has been married for over 6 years, had surgery to untie her tubes, and is pregnant with their second kid. She just requested child support for our kids be reviewed and increased. How can I fight this review increase because now she is having more kids and expecting me to pay her more child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sierra Vista , AZ

A: Child support is determined on the basis of the ability to pay for both parents. The standard for modification is often a substantial and continuing” change, which can be caused by a change to either parent’s situation or both. As the last order appears to have been several years ago, it is likely that one or both of you have had a change in your financial circumstances that warrant modification to the child support obligation. Whether that order will go up or down requires consideration of the factors used by the court in establishing an order. There are various online calculators you can use to estimate the amount of a child support order. Make sure you use one that is specific to your state.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.