Salt Lake City, UT asked in Real Estate Law for Montana

Q: How can i buy an abandoned house from a person who is deceased

My aunts bf died 3 years ago and the house has been abandoned since then no one has claimed ownership and 3 years of taxes are owed. It is in montana and i am wanting to know how i could go about buying the house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Hire a competent MT attorney to search the Title, determine Heirship, and draft/record an Affidavit of Heirship. That will be your Source of Title but you will have to pay sufficient money to the Heirs to get their Deed. Or you might check when the Tax Sale will be. A possible successful bid will not be a Title for awhile though, and again you will need an attorney to get an unencumbranced Fee over to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.