Middleburg, FL asked in Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: Can a parent call the police on there child in order to get them removed from the house ?

My boyfriend is 17 and his parents don’t like him they continue to find ways and reasons to threaten him, kick him out, or call the police. He is still a minor and has been supporting them by paying bills since he could make money. he rarely actually does anything wrong. None of what he does is illegal it’s simply small rules put in place by his parents that he breaks. Can he be arrested or taken away?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unless he has been emancipated by a court of law your boyfriend's parents are legally responsible for him, and can impose whatever "house rules" they desire. However, they may NOT "kick him out" until he is 18. They are also wasting there breath threating to "call the police" because the police will not get involved unless someone commits a crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.