Bridgewater, NJ asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I’m 64. Family of 5 asked to stay 1 yr @$600/mo. fall 2019. Wont leave 2 yrs later lost my job. They claim c19 law

Met them at Food Bank where I volunteer. Have month to month contract. Told them 1 year only and retiring at 64. That was fall 2018 In Oct 2019 I extended it thru June 2020 to keep their son in school. They had 3 kids then. Today, January 2021, I Need to sell my 2 bedroom condo as I’m out of work. They had 4th baby in April 2020 & Refuse to leave. No rent yet for January. Destroyed home. Had to buy new washer / dryer. Kitchen leaking from their bath upstairs. They Claim NJ C19 law lets them stay indefinitely. There are 7 people here now & I work from home when employed. Office gone. Confined to bedroom. Family Not speaking to me. I Was paying for cleaning service. Storing their stuff everywhere, Internet etc. Help. Tom

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: Hello,

If they are destroying the property, you can evict them for that. There are still ways for landlords to evict; non-payment of rent is not one of them though. You should also look into the federal rental assistance that is coming. It is first come first serve, and with 100's of thousands of people in NJ facing eviction, you will want to be in line sooner than later.

Look for a landlord-tenant lawyer in Sommerville NJ as they are closer to the county courthouse where landlord tenant matters are filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.