Holly Ridge, NC asked in Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: The person sold me a trailer and failed to transfer the title and won't pay the fees to send it in. This is in NC.

I bought a boat and trailer in NC. The person who sold me the boat and trailer failed to send in the trailer title to be transferred to his name. When he sold me the boat he gave me a bill of sale and said that was enough to get the title under my name. When I went to the DMV they said that they could do nothing for me and said he had to send in the title and pay the fees in order to transfer it to me. Also, they said that he should not have sold said trailer until he legally received the title with his name on it. I spoke to the man and he is refusing to do his part and pay the fees. I looked online and did some research and came across Title Jumping. What can I legally do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can threaten to sue or actually sue. Both of these actions might induce him to act as he should.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.