Warrenton, VA asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: Wife signed a lease for an apartment alone. What do I need to do to get added to the lease to represent both interests?

I pay most of the rent. We allowed family to move in for a 'short time' -- became much longer tho than originally expected. Wife is unwilling to insist they move out. We're retired so are unable to support them (3 relatives -- one is 47 [female] who only works P-T, another 21 [male] refuses to work & youngest, 17 [female] also refuses to work). The 47 female pays $50/wk -- doesn't come close to $700 'committed' as their portion to 'share rental and utility costs' when they moved in over a year ago; and, they show no interest in getting F-T jobs to cover their housing expenses/generally support themselves, so I was advised to give them notice of eviction action(s) if they don't start working F-T soon and paying what was agreed to when we allowed them to move-in 'temporarily'. I'm not the one with the lease (landlord says "...wife must agree to add me ..." -- she won't [???]); and, am not getting support from my wife to proceed this way to solve this matter. So, need HELP -- THANKS!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: To answer your question of what do you have to do to be added to the lease, the answer is you have to make your request to the landlord and ask what is the landlord's requirements to be added to the lease. This is a contract so the contracting parties have to reach a mutual agreement to modify the lease and change the parties on the lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.