Albuquerque, NM asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I can't get my tenant to move after giving her notice that I have sold the house. She has refused to move out .

What can I do to keep from losing my cash buyer? She has been waiting six months to move in. The renter first said she could not find a house to rent. She keeps coming up with excuses why she can't move. She has sited the Covid 19 saying she does'nt have to move now. At first she refused to let the Realtor show the house, then after he was allowed to show the house, she would'nt allow the inspection that the buyer wanted. Now, it's been six months and she still won't move. The buyer has given us until Feb. 5 to be able to finally move in, otherwise she 's not going to sign the final papers to purchase the house. She does'nt want to finish buying the house with the renter still there. Help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It is not a question of the tenant's convenience, it is a question of whether you have fully complied with the termination of tenancy requirements - written notice containing the required information, lawfully served. If so, you simply file in court to evict. If not, you start over. Regardless, it is not a do-it-yourself job. You should review everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney to see if things can be salvaged. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.