Murfreesboro, TN asked in Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: My wife received a call today from a debt collector that threatened to subpoena her to court for a bad check from

From 12 years ago for 400$. Is it legal for them to do that or is there an SOL for bad checks in the state of Tennessee

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If there was some reaffirmation of the debt by your Wife, then the normal 6 year SOL starts from there to sue her. The Misdemeanor SOL has long since run. The check language might contain an argument for a 10 year SOL for demand notes, but I doubt it. If a bad credit report is made, contest it in writing to the credit bureau.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.