Milford, OH asked in Uncategorized for Ohio

Q: You Hi, I am working on my will. Not sure if I need to see an attorney to get this done.

Hi, I am working on my will. Not sure if I need to see an attorney to get this done. It's very basic and simple. One problem I may have is my dad passed away 14 years ago and left the family piano to my older sister. The thing is I have had it all this time because she claims she has no way to retrieve it and no room for it. I need to know whether I should contact her about getting this piano or if I need a lawyer to reach out to her to get the piano or relinquish ownership. I'm just not sure how to handle this because my dad left it to her in his will. Also my sister and I do not speak very often, not on very good terms

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Drew Chalfant
Drew Chalfant
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You will want to reach out to your sister and at the very least get a clear, written statement that she is giving you the piano before you put it in your will and try to pass it on to your children or anyone else. If you don't have clear ownership of the piano and you will it to someone else, you're just passing the dispute with your sister onto that person. If your sister does give it to you (gives, not sells) and it is worth more than $15,000 (a nice piano!) she may need to file a gift tax return for the amount in excess of $15,000. The fact that she is storing it in your home rent free is an issue for another day...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.