New Orleans, LA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: Me and my ex are currently living together and we have a child. She also has 2 other children who I have raised for the

- past 7 years. Their fathers have nothing to do with them and they even think I am their father. She is very unstable and has even almost physically hurt the children before and even told me that if I wasnt there to stop it she might have really thg hurt her 6 year old one day. I've only stayed with her for the safety of the children.

My question is can I legally take my own child without being charged with kidnapping

And is there any way I could fight for custody of the other 2 children.

Just trying to figure out what I can and cant do.

We were never married by the way and I have already filed a petition for paternity back in 2014.

I am In florida it wouldn't let me change that location.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I am assuming that you are in Florida. If not then you need to ask this question of a Louisiana attorney. For your child, you need to file a Petition for Paternity to protect your rights. For the other children, since you are not married to the mother you really have no legal rights.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.