Hampton, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I was issued a summons for failure to obey highway sign, I was going 49 in a 35, and I am wondering if I should prepay.

I don’t feel like I was going 49 since I was driving with my cruise control at 40. I don’t know if I should just prepay this and take the hit or go through with the summons the officer gave me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It sounds as if the officer was trying to cut you a break instead of writing you for speeding. It depends on the code section he/she used. No one here can tell you what's in your best interest without knowing more about you such as your driving record but even then it would ultimately be your call whether to prepay or go to court and "fight the ticket." Potentially would cost you way more than just pre-paying it. Consult an attorney local to your area. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.