Modesto, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: child no longer lives with custodial parent, does my brother still need to pay child support to ex wife?

My brother and his wife had a child support agreement done while his adopted son (her biological son), lived with her full time. (13 year old boy). Since then, she has been passing him around and does NOT want him living with her and her new boyfriend. At the moment, he is living with his aunt, and soon, she wants to send him to a reform school. My brother can’t take him since he lives alone and is in the military full time. So she is collecting the child support but doesn’t have her son with her. What should be done?

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If the agreement is actually a court order, he needs to file in court to modify the child support. He will have to prove the child is not living with her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.