Pennington, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for New Jersey

Q: What do I do if the Township's Public Health Officer has the last word but makes a mistake in judgement ?

Hopewell Township's (Mercer County, NJ) Public Health Nuisance Code contains the sentence "Wherever there is a question as to the significance of an alleged infraction or the factual existence of an alleged infraction, the prudent judgment of the health officer or other enforcing official will prevail in the determination of a violation." Is this enforceable? It seems like it gives the Township arbitrary power to do or not do whatever is convenient for them.

What do we do if she concludes there is no significance to the alleged nuisance but we believe she made a mistake, ignored basic and important facts, or is not competent to judge the significance?

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Speak to an attorney who practices municipal law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.