Syracuse, NY asked in Small Claims for New York

Q: Can a doctors office charge you for bad debt fee?

So went to the Doc office and got a check up. I thought my insurance would cover it but they didn't. A couple of months go by, and I get served some paper work from the attorney general office about the bill. I didn't even know that they had 3 other court cases about this one bill, but I owed the hospital over 2000. The attorney general gave me a option to settle the bill, which I did. I paid the whole thing off. then I get a letter in the mail that I have 2 bills in collections for 210 and 305 from the same doc office. so I called to explain that I had settled and paid it. An every time I call the hospital and the doc office. They either give me the run around, or say that what I paid had nothing to do with there department, or that I may have paid a portion but I never paid for the doctors time. so I asked for a print out of the bill on what they were asking for. I got the bill, the charges are all written out with the product name and price (lab fee, ect swab...) but when you look a

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Check your records to see if you were given a release when you settled the $2,000 bill in full. If you were given a release, review its terms to identify who the releasors were (the medical providers - the doctor, the hospital, the lab, etc.). If you were not released from your obligations on the subsequent $210 and $305 bills, you could reach out to a collections defense attorney to see if you have other viable defenses. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.