Sparks, NV asked in Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Question about a request to relocate for a father with primary custody.

I have a question about gaining permission to relocate. I’m a single father with primary custody, married almost 10 years, divorced in June 2019, Divorced with 50/50 physical and legal custody of D7 and S10, July 2019 had to file an emergency motion to take primary custody of the children due to the ex neglecting the kids. Since November of 2019 I’ve had primary custody, joint legal ,ex is supposed to have the kids Tuesday nights, And Tuesday and Wednesday nights during summer vacation and breaks, My ex has not had the kids for an overnight since July 2019, She sees them maybe one tues or wed every other week or less and really has no interest in them, I have kept a detailed log. I want to move 90 miles away to my hometown into another state to be close to family and have their help to watch the kids (my parents are retired). I believe my ex will say no just for the sake of saying no, what are my chances with this case ? State currently in is Nevada btw

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Moving out of state without the other parent’s permission can be difficult, but it is not impossible. You will need to petition the court to have the judge decide whether moving the children away from their mother to be closer to your family is in the children’s best interest. You will need to make your case to the court as to why you would like the relocation. At this point, explaining the need for assistance from your family as well as your log of documented visitation violations will help to make your case. It would be best for you to consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss the full details of your case as they can help explain your options and likelihood of a favorable outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.