New Providence, NJ asked in Employment Law for New Jersey

Q: Can employer claw back sign-on bonus?

Good afternoon. When I joined my employer, NJ based ADP Inc., I was given a sign-on bonus with the condition that I would have to pay it back if I left the company voluntarily within a year.

I just resigned and my last day with ADP will be 25 days short of completing one year with them. Can ADP claw back the sign-on bonus and how?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you signed an employment contract with your company that stated you would forfeit your sign-on bonus if you resigned within a year, then your employer may choose to pursue you for the sign-on bonus you'd forfeit under the agreement based on a breach of contract theory. However, since you quit just 25 days short of one year of service, you may be able to defend against this claim by arguing your employer has received the substantial benefit of your services, since you performed work for 11+ months of the year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.