San Francisco, CA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nevada

Q: I have a check that says "pay to the order of (my father, deceased, c/o (sister)". I am the executor of his will.

My bank wont set up a trust account. The check is about $8000. And my dad owes taxes of at least $9000. How should i procede?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dara Joy Goldsmith
Dara Joy Goldsmith
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Do you have a court order appointing you executor and Letters testamentary? If so, present those two court filed pleadings and the bank should allow you to open the estate account, not trust. If not, you may need to open a probate estate through the courts. I encourage you to speak with a Nevada estate attorney, if you do not possess a court order or Letters to determine the next steps.

Best of luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.