Covington, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: My husband passed with no will and i am not on his bank account what do i need to do? My stimulus went to that acct and

My husband passed with no will and i am not on his bank account what do i need to do? My stimulus went to that acct and his last check the bank will not let me do anything with because it is to estate of

My name is Rebekah. I am not sure who to contact regarding my late husbands i guess estate. My husband passed on halloween. Me and him were in the middle of seperating but still legally married. So i was not on his bank account when he passed. His job sent me his last check to the estate of and my bank will not do anything about it due me not being executer of estate and now my stimulus got deposited to his bank acct which is on hold due to him passing. The estates department with the bank originally said i just needed an affidavit but now they are saying they need a court order. They told me to contact my local court to find out what i need. The court says they can not tell me what to do that i need to get an attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zainab Major Brown
Zainab Major Brown
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: I send condolences. You should contact a probate attorney in Georgia for a consultation.

The probate lawyer you hire will help you navigate the probate court process to obtain the authority you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.