Auburndale, FL asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: Can my employer stop DCF from releasing my closed case paperwork to me?

I work for the public schools. I had a parent make a false accusation of abuse against me. DCF and the sheriff's office both investigated and concluded that the allegation was unfounded and unsubstantiated, and I was of course, innocent. The parent is relentless, however, and has went as far as calling media outlets (for a payout). To protect myself, I requested proof of case closure from DCF and JSO. Both agencies told me that they couldn't release anything to me, because the school board was keeping the investigation open. Can the school board legally actually prevent me from obtaining my own records?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: FYI, the school board has the first responsibility to investigate the incident because it occurred at the school where you work and where the child goes to school.

Advice: It sounds like you are are winning; so slow down and try to be happy about the favorable outcome in both the DCF investigation and the Sheriff's investigation.

You can be sure that the school board has copies of their final reports and that the school board is coordinating their investigation with the investigators involved in the other two investigations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.